Sunday, October 09, 2016

Easy Homecook Recipe: Clams in Homemade Broth

I love clams, my hubby love clams! Too bad my children do not dare to try clams at all... but there's no reason why I cannot cook it myself to enjoy at home! One thing about having clams outside is, I feel they are usually very overcharged, especially given that they are so easy to prepare! I bet once you started cooking clams yourself, you will not want to pay for it outside ever again! ;p

So the other day I shared on social media the clams that I prepared for dinner and when Angeline asked me for the recipe, i was a little stumped, haha! Because I am really just an amateur lazy cook who only attempt simple dishes (simple as in, minimal cleaning up to do!) Then i think it will be good to share my so simple recipe with others who may be interested to whip up nice to eat dishes in a short time frame, as well as with minimal cleaning up too! (I hate cleaning up oily kitchen!)

The photo of clams in homemade broth (it's without chinese wine)

So here I go, sharing this super simple clams in homemade broth (which you can just add in cooked pasta to turn it into Vongole!)

I have tried to cook it two ways - with just water (it tastes superb!) and another version with chinese wine (and it's tastes good as well too!) You can try alternating for different versions to see which you like better. :)

And here's the version with the chinese wine (it has a slight tinge of bitterness of the wine)

Ingredients Required
  1. Fresh Clams 
    • I always buy mine at Sheng Siong Supermarket, around $4 to $6 will get you quite a big pack!
    • Bring the clams home as soon as you can after you purchased them so that they can be kept alive
    • Add a few teaspoons of salt into a pot of clean water
    • Pour in the clams
    • Cut a piece of aluminium foil and cover the top of the pot, leaving only a small gap. This will help the clams to open and remove the sand in the clams
    • When you are ready to cook, simply rinse and scrub the clams and drain dry for use
  2. Minced Garlic (amount as you desired)
  3. Minced Ginger (amount as you desired)
    • I love ginger so i minced them for more flavor, you can put sliced gingers instead if you do not like to eat ginger
  4. Sliced Chilli Padi (or you can omit)
  5. Some Oil 
    • I used olive oil over low heat because it's less oily ;p
  6. Some oyster sauce
    • I used vegetarian mushroom oyster sauce cause that's what i have in the fridge
  7. Some water or Shao Xing Hua Diao Wine (as desired)
The ingredients and sauces that I used


Method
  1. Heat up some olive oil in a pot, over low heat  
  2. Next, add in minced garlic, ginger and chilli and saute for about 1.5 minutes
  3. Then, add in the oyster sauce and mix well
  4. Add in about a bowl of water (or lesser) and mix well 
    • You can replace this step with the Shao Xing Hua Diao Wine if you desired the chinese wine version
  5. Add in clams and cover the pot
  6. Turn the fire up to medium low and cook for around 3 minutes (or when the clams have all open up if you have more clams). By the way, listen up for the clams opening symphony! ;) 
  7. Turn off the fire
  8. Discard the clams that did not open at all, they are dead long ago and stinks! 
  9. Serve hot and enjoy! 

Hopefully you enjoy this dish as much as we did! :)

If you enjoy reading this post, please like me on my Facebook Page as it's where i connect with my readers. I will be very delighted if you can also add me on my newly set up social media accounts - Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...