Friday, October 02, 2015

Easy Homecook Recipe: Kau Kee Seafood Soup

Simple home-cooked comfort soup that can be completed with 15 mins of cooking
I cooked this Kau Kee seafood soup recently and a friend asked me for the recipe.


Kau Kee, also known as wolfberry leaves, goji leaves or 九杞菜,  has been known to be eaten only with its leaves. This vegetable has sharp thorns on their stalks (be careful when handling!) like rose and the leaves are often used in soups or stir-fry, giving the soup or dish a unique refreshing taste. 

Our family are non pork eaters, so I did the seafood version of the soup instead. Preparation time takes about 10 minutes. Cooking can be done within 15 minutes if you take a shortcut to use ikan billis cube instead of fresh ikan billis from scratch! This soup is perfect for quick cooking or a cold day! 

Ingredients Required
  1. 1 litre of water bring to boil
  2. 1 bowl of ikan bilis or half an ikan bilis cube
  3. Kau Kee leaves (take only the leaves)
  4. 2 tablespoons wolfberries
  5. 1 to 2 eggs (beaten)
  6. Seafood as desired (I used prawns, squid and fish balls)
  7. a pinch of salt

Method
  1. Bring water to boil in a pot
  2. Add in the ikan bilis, wolfberries and kau kee leaves. Allow it to simmer under low heat for about 5 minutes or until leaves are cooked. 
  3. Bring water to boil again and add in the seafood. Simmer under low heat for 3 minutes and turn off heat. 
  4. Add beaten egg and stir to break it up.
  5. Add a pinch of salt. Stir and serve hot. 

If you enjoy reading this post, please like me on my Facebook Page as it's where i connect with my readers. I will be very delighted if you can also add me on my newly set up social media accounts - InstagramTwitter and Pinterest.

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! Are these leafs available at the supermarket?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! You can get them at NTUC at only $1.75 per pack! ;)

      Delete
  2. This looks simple enough to try! Thanks for sharing Ting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! I love love seafood! And this looks easy to prepare, shall try out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simple recipes are love!! Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always cook this! But using baby round spinach. Its so easy, sweet and appetising for the kids.

    Shirley @ SAys! Happy Mums

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a cook... but your recipe looks simple and easy.. Maybe can try

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not a cook... but your recipe looks simple and easy.. Maybe can try

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha Wah! Food recipe post! All these must bookmark as I figure out new dishes to cook for the kids. I'm really not a very good cook :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for typing the recipe out :) I remember drinking this soup at an elderly relative's home but she has passed away 2 decades ago and I've not tasted this soup since then. Now I can cook it for my family! YAY, thank you. I didn't know it's actually wolfberry leaves too, must be good for eyesight too then.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great soup! My mom used to do this soup very often. Miss the taste of that veg. And I also didn't know that these are wolfberry leaves. No wonder the older folks say this veg is good for the eyes!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...