Sunday, September 27, 2015

The Last Kampong In Mainland Singapore

For the month plus long hazy period that Singapore is 'trapped' in, yesterday was a surprisingly good day with no haze! It was really bright and clear, so our little family of four quickly headed out to a place that had been on my list of places to go for quite some time! 

We went to Kampong Lorong Buangkok, the last village of old atap (wooden) houses with zinc roofs in mainland Singapore. I remembered I trekked there with my mom when I was a little girl, so I had wanted to return bringing my children before it's gone forever. At least I can show my eldest what a Kampong is like. 

When I told my hubby about it, he was interested and even googled up to find out more. According to Remember Singapore, Lorong Buangkok was originally a swampy area. In 1956, a traditional Chinese medicine seller named Sng Teow Koon bought a piece of land at Lorong Buangkok and rented it to several Chinese and Malay families, which gradually formed a kampong over the years.

Today, the piece of land that Kampong Lorong Buangkok is standing on, about the size of three football fields, is owned by Sng Mui Hong, the daughter of Sng Teow Koon. Around 28 families are still living in this rustic village, paying tokens as monthly rentals to the landlord. There is also a kampong head, who takes care of the surau, daily prayers and other Muslim affairs within the village.

Sharing some photos I took when we were there, can i say I love the place so much? We can really imagine the kampong spirits of olden times, where people are living so close together. This must be one of the 别有洞天 experience we ever had in Singapore!

Trekking into the kampong

we came across a cute little cat looking for something

A colorful painted wooden house with zinc roof, yes of course they have waste disposal services too!

we love how rustic, peaceful and 'out of Singapore' the place feels

a better looking wooden house we came across, it's double storey!

i can imagine how cosy it was like, living in kampong last time!

We found cars parked within or near some houses, yes, i think people who lives in a kampong can drive too!

this is a more beaten and old kampong house that we came across. Too bad we don't have relatives staying here else it will be cool for visiting!

we found a mosque among the houses!

It's quite sad, while walking among the houses, we can actually hear the construction of new roads right besides the kampong! It will just be time before the last kampong is gone forever too. :( 

Can you imagine living among greenery? The haze had cleared yesterday, but the air there also smelled better than in HDBs estate!

Little Brother telling me that there are armies of ants on the ground

We crossed a small wooden bridge that is above what seems to be like a dried up small stream

another type of kampong house, it will be so cosy dining out in the front pouch with friendly neighbours too

can you imagine living in one of theses kampong houses? 

If you are keen, the location of Kampong Lorong Buangkok is at Lor Buangkok, located near Gerald Drive (off Yio Chu Kang Road). You can get there by driving and map is attached below for you for reference. 

I would like to remind you that although this is the last remaining Kampong in Singapore, and one might be excited to document it down, do remember that the houses there are still private properties and that we should respect the owner's privacy. :) Please do not take pictures of the interior of their houses or you know, go peep into people's house! Neither should you or your children pluck any flowers or fruits. I think we can give others' the respect they deserve, right? 



If you enjoy reading this post, please like me on my Facebook Page as it's where i connect with my readers. I will be very delighted if you can also add me on my newly set up social media accounts - InstagramTwitter and Pinterest.

12 comments:

  1. HOW COOL! I thought they should be pretty friendly? Cannot go in and make friends ah?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some houses actually put up signboards to indicate no trespassing, please respect their privacy or no videography allowed. I guess it's the same as our houses, you know, we don't want strangers to visit us every other day and come tour our own houses. Haha.

      I went on weekend, all the doors to all the houses are closed! We also try to be quiet not to disrupt their lives~

      Delete
  2. Oh I've been meaning to go check it out, since it's quite near my place! Must put it on the to-do list, before it disappears for good...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, which i think can be pretty soon already. The construction of the new roads are just right beside some houses, and when we drove in, there are new HDB BTO still in construction surrounding them already.

      Delete
  3. Really can't imagine there is still such Kampung in Singapore. This is probably where they film all those 'back in the days' tv series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good to getaway in the countryside. Air there is much fresher too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its near my place and we drove past 2 years ago.. didnt get a chance to stop our car and walk in though but it was really cool to let the kids see the last kampung in SG :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its near my place and we drove past 2 years ago.. didnt get a chance to stop our car and walk in though but it was really cool to let the kids see the last kampung in SG :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope the haze goes away soon, so can visit there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wooo never knew about this interesting kampong that is near our place! It's such a contrast to the modern HDBs and buildings we see everywhere now, I think it is definitely a good learning experience and exposure for the little ones. Thanks much for sharing about this, Ting!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This kampung is still around! Many years back I went for a photo walk too because govt said wanted to remove it. And now its still there. Must bring my girls there one day to experience it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my! I didn't know a kampong still existed in Singapore. I need to bookmark this down. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...