Book Review: JJ's Science Adventure - Magnets
Allow me to pant! For I just finished reading the whole of the above mentioned book at one shot to Big Brother! The comic book is about Magnets and it's so interesting that Big Brother wouldn't allow me to stop reading! And I finished the whole book with him at one go!
|A fully coloured illustrated comic book to introduce and cover the Topic Magnets|
As you may be aware, I had withdraw Big Brother from his Kindergarten and have been homeschooling him since Feb this year. It is the best decision I ever made and we have total freedom to cover any topics we want as we homeschool. Big Brother's favorite subject is Science and I had since finished the topics on Body as well as Living & Non-Living Things. Today, I finally moved him onto Magnets, our lesson was conducted using the above mentioned book which we were gifted in October last year!
|It was very nice of Aurelia, to gift Kyle this book, through a forum for children with learning difficulties!|
What is JJ's Science Adventure?
JJ's Science Adventure is a series of educational comic books authored by Aurelia Tan and illustrated by Nicholas Liem, to help readers master key learning objectives stated in the Singapore Ministry of Education’s Primary School Science syllabus. The story is about two siblings Joyce and Jonathan, who received their birthday presents from their grandfather, two bags which transform into a talking robot (Robo) and a teleportation portal. With a set of keys from Robo, the kids open the portal into sub-dimensional world created by the ‘World Maker’, an incredible invention by their grandfather to help them learn science.
|The book is localised to Singapore too (in proper English)!|
About the Book
I was a bit worried that a book meant to cover the PSLE syllabus might be too difficult for Big Brother, however the worry was unfounded. In fact, this is the most interesting topic ever to the 5+ years old Big Brother!
|The topic Magnets is delivered through interesting and colorful comics|
In "JJ's Science Adventure: Magnets", through a very fascinating and mysterious story-line and the fast paced cartoon adventure, the book explained the physical properties of magnets and how it works in an easy to understand, yet interesting way! It includes the uses of magnets in real life situation as well as some really funny and light hearted scenes & illustrations, for us to laugh our heads off! You will be amazed to hear that if I ask my 5+ years old how to make a temporary magnet or even how to demagnetised one, he can immediately rattle off the answers with illustrations or demonstrations, without referring to the book!
|Visual Cues in the book to explain how magnet works in various situations/scenarios|
It also includes a "Did You Know" and "Challenge Yourself" segments more suited for older children!
We finished the book within an hour, including me taking out magnets in between to demonstrate some experiments and allowing Big Brother to try it for himself.
|I purchased the above sets of magnets earlier, so that I can let Big Brother hands on while introducing topic Magnets to him|
|Big Brother demonstrating to me how the different poles repels and same poles attract|
Here's a video showing Big Brother demonstrates and plays with magnet to move a racer car!
|Suddenly, after we read about electromagnet, he was pretending that he was magnetic and the book is also magnetic and stuck onto him! :/|
|I also caught him flipping the book all by himself even though the lesson was already over! How super rare!|
|And now, while I am writing this review, Big Brother suddenly came to me with the above two charts he drew (don't mind a preschooler's drawings) and he started show and tell to explain to me about Magnets!|
What I really like about the book:
- It captures Big Brother's attention throughout and generate his interests in Magnets
- It introduces the machines that work using magnets in real life
- The simple manner to explain how the magnet work in different situations, that makes it very easy to understand even for a preschooler!
- The colourful visuals in the book really makes things easier for students with learning difficulties to learn better
- It is so much easier to remember how magnet works after reading
- The length of the book is just nice! Not too long and not too short!
- It allows me to easily extend the topics to do real life experiments with my child! It's a lot easier as most of the explanations is already done by the book!
- The paper and print quality is very good!
You might also want to know that the book is highly raved by parents as well as school teacher! It has also won numerous awards like
- 2014 Reader's Favorite Illustration Award: winner for Children Books -- Magnets
- 2015 International Book Award: winner for Comics/Graphic Novels -- Magnets
- 2015 Independent Publishers Book Award: Silver Medal for Graphic Novel/Drawn Book - Humor/Cartoon History -- Magnets
Where to Buy?
Currently the book is available for sale online at Harvest Edutainment or at Elm Tree Bookstores at SGD18.90 per copy.
Sharing is loving! Giveaway Time!
The author of the book, Aurelia, is also very generous to spread the love of Science to another children, and we are giving away one copy of the book!
To join the giveaway, please follow the steps in the Rafflecopter below:
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Terms & Conditions:
- Contest is for people residing in Singapore only. There must be a valid Singapore address for the prize to be mailed to.
- Book won are not for resale
- Giveaway ends on Friday night, 26 Jun 2015, at 1159pm.
- Winners will be announced on the blog, my Facebook Page and notified via email.