Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Welcome to 姑妈家 again! :)

[Media Invite]

This year, Gu Ma Jia Restaurant is celebrating its 5th Anniversary and we were invited, together with a few other bloggers, to an exclusive food tasting to sample their NEW dishes! It's a great experience meeting old and new friends there! *

Having tried the food at Gu Ma Jia Restaurant before last year, I really miss the good food, prompt service and friendly staffs, and especially chatting with the amiable Gu Ma, Chen Mei Yan! You can read here about our experiences last year.

Unlike last year, this year I am super delighted and relax! That's because i didn't had to bring my children along as my parents gave me the nights off by babysitting for me! Wooohooo!! Good food are meant to be savoured slowly and thoroughly, with full concentration and without the need to scold or chase after children! Haha!

While waiting for others to arrived, we were served the fruit enzyme drinks created by the people at Gu Ma Jia themselves! I can't put a single word to describe the drink, it's a little sourish, a little saltish, a little like apple vinegar. ;p I thought I didn't like it, but funny thing is, now I am writing the review, I wish to drink it again!

Fruit Enzyme Drink, S$4.80 

Once everyone has arrived and seated, we will amazed by the speed the dishes were served! Last year, the food were served promptly, this year, we almost didn't have to wait at all, the dishes were served almost one after another, and before we knew it, we had the whole table full with tantalising food that I don't know which to start with first! We heard that there was one more dish - the crabs, and we quickly request them to hold back the serving of the crabs first, so that we can enjoy the dishes on the table first. ;p It's hilarious to have the group of us to start "working" and taking turns to take pictures of the dishes!

Are you ready for them?

Presenting the new dishes we tried: 

Homemade Yam Ring with Pork Ribs - $30

I am not a pork eater (because i dislike the pork texture, taste and smell, so i always tell my friends I am actually Fatimah), but I tried this homemade Yam Ring with Kyoto Pork Ribs and it surprised me! The meat is just nice, a little crispy and tasted sweet & savoury! The yam ring is even better, crispy on the outside and yet soft and creamy on the inside! I actually took a second serving of the yam ring!

Ubin Lala Bee Hoon - $18

This Ubin Lala beehoon is ingenious! I love Lala and I love eating the wet fried bee hoon! Yet, I have never ate fried bee hoon with Lala! This dish is so simple, yet very nice!! The clams were very fresh, and the beehoon soaked up the essence of the fresh lala soup and there is also this "wok hei" fragrance! Basically, almost every one of us were nodding our heads away while we were eating the Ubin Lala Beehoon! It just goes to show how tasty it is!

Gu Ma Traditional Bean Curd Soup - $28

This is a newly added dish, introduced from Gu Ma's private kitchen, a traditional dish that Gu Ma grows up with. Packed with wholesome goodness, the soup is boiled for 6 hours using salted fish head, chinese ham, pork ribs, peanuts and fresh bean curd! It's an extremely nutritional, soothing and comforting soup! I love the milky taste (no milk added!!) and i like how I don't feel thirsty after eating and drinking all these good food! Goes to show that little MSG are added into the dishes!

XO Sauce Prawn Noodles - $28

This, THIS, this is one of my favorite dishes! A classic cantonese dish, the prawns were fresh, the broth is so great - the sweetness from the prawns, the lingering flavour from the XO sauce, the slight saltiness from the prawn heads. I also see each of us nodding the head away while having this dish!

Salted Egg Yolk Crab - Seasonal Price

I love crabs! I have always been eating chilli crabs and black pepper crabs my whole life, refusing to try others because I love spicy dishes and thought nothing can beat this two tastes. Until I tried the salted egg yolk crab. Gosh, am i so sua ku? The fragrance of the salted egg filled my nose while it's taste lingers on my tongue! I am ashamed to say this, but I admit, i found myself licking off the shells of the crab because salted egg yolk crab taste so good! Not too saltish, and the dish is not too dry too! the crabs were also very fresh, hubby got his crab roes fix too! I give my both thumbs up for salted egg yolk crab!

Brown Rice is now available at Gu Ma Jia! You can requested for it for a healthier meal. :)

Other dishes we tried include:

Crispy Bean Jal - $12 | $18

I ate the crispy bean jal last year, and I am so glad it was served again! Last year, I had thought the crispy brown pieces were meat! The crispy fried brinjals and and french beans is like a perfect marriage! Both are crispy in their own ways and very tasty. The brinjal is lightly tossed in sweet marmite sauce and then fried with French beans to create this delightful vegetable dish!

Yuan Yang Kai Lan - $12 | $18 | $24

We tried this Yuan Yang Kai Lan last year too! This dish features Kai Lan vegetables cooked in two styles, blanched and fried. Crispy Kai Lan leaves are deep- fried to perfection, coupled with thick and crunchy Kai Lan stems. The fried crispy tasty leaves are a huge hit with the children this year too! I find myself smiling to hear friend's children asking for repeated servings of this vegetable!

Shrimp Paste Chicken Mid Joint - $15

Assam Fish Head - $28

Desserts Time:

Fruity Enzyme Jelly - $5.80

From top left clockwise: Gu Ma's Dessert - $4, Black Glutinous Rice with Ice Cream - $3.80,
 Mango Pudding - Not on menu yet.

Mother's Day Promotion

While I was there, something else caught my eyes!

They have a special Mother's Day Menu, only available from 1st May 2015 to 17th May 2015! What a good way to treat our most loving mothers to a great home-cooked feel meal! :)


The best part, this 8 course set meal is only at S$388 nett for 10 pax! The set meal includes:
  • Cold dish platter
  • Auntie's signature traditional bean curd soup
  • Assam snapper
  • Superior sauce prawns
  • Yam ring pork ribs
  • Fortune chicken
  • Broccoli with sea cucumber chinese mushrooms
  • Beancurd sheet dessert with gingko

Additional Promotion:
  • Free Leifheit Columbus Insulated Jug 1 Litre (worth $55, while stocks last), with every MOther's Day Set Menu Order, or an ala carte spending of $350 nett.
  • 10% discount on crab dishes
Please call them at 6285 2023 for reservations! :) 


More information

Gu Ma Jia (姑妈家) is a casual Chinese restaurant where the owner is affectionately known as Gu Ma (‘aunt’ in Chinese), as she is the eldest among six siblings with numerous nephews and nieces. She is known to be a great cook who loves sharing delicious food with her family and friends. Gu Ma set up this restaurant in order to share delicious home-cooked food with her customers, sharing joy and family bonds over eating meals together.

With its friendly service staff and excellent cuisine, Gu Ma Jia is definitely a great venue and restaurant for family, business associates as well as celebrations such as birthdays, team-building events, and networking. Its second floor is now equipped with projector which is ideal for family celebrations or companies networking or team-building events. 

The seating capacity at Gu Ma Jia is 55 pax for first level and 70 pax on the second level. 

Gu Ma Jia also provides buffet catering services with a good selection of delectable dishes at affordable prices. 

And, their bill do not include GST and service charge!

For more information, you can go to http://www.gumajia.com.sg/ or find them on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/sg.gumajia

Address: 45 Tai Thong Crescent Sennett Estate Singapore 347866
Contact Number: 6285 2023



Getting There:
  • Nearest MRT is Potong Pasir 
  • Nearest Buses - 8, 61, 64, 65, 66, 90, 125, 151, 154
  • If you are driving, do be warned that parking can be really difficult to find. You may have to park pretty far away at the coupon parking lots located outside the private house. Also, don't be blur like I did. Parking is free after 5pm, so you don't have to tear parking coupon! 
Disclaimer: We were invited by AT Marketing Consultancy for food tasting at Gu Ma Jia. No other form of compensation were involved. All experiences and photos are mine, unless otherwise stated.

If you enjoy reading this post, please like me on my Facebook Page as it's where i connect with my readers. I will be very delighted if you can also add me on my newly set up social media accounts - InstagramTwitter and Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...