Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Kailan, is that you?

When we moved into our new house in Oct last year, i chanced upon a community garden near our flat. I enquired on how we can join and left my contact to be on waiting list. To my luck and delight! We actually get a small plot to grow our own plants in late November!

Facebook is a really powerful media, i posted a picture in a group of my plants, and my Primary School classmate saw that I am doing gardening, she contacted me to offer to give me some vegetables seeds!!! How exciting is that? So from onions, aloe vera, ginger and garlic, i now evolved to growing brinjals, pumpkin, edamame soy beans, kailan, sweet melon, basil, potato, chilli and xiao bai cai!! Ok ok! I think i am a little overboard... but growing own vegetables is very very very addictive!

Sharing with you the growth of my Kai Lan:

seeds planted on 3rd Jan

after a day

my kailan newborn seedling!

after a week

Kai Lans on bottom row, still small plants

growing

one decided to start flowering!!
which means i have MANY kailan seeds now, who wants??

and they continue to grow and blossom!

getting taller, and stronger!

OMG!! Even i am amazed when i go visit them in the mornings! THEY ARE HUGE!


I harvested them without pulling out the whole plant so that it will continue growing!

my mom fried it for dinner for us, can i say, it's yummy!

Other than harvesting the spring onions previously, this is the first time I harvested "real" or more "impressive" vegetables and in bulk some more! Can you tell how excited I am? My mom is even more proud to keep declaring to everyone that the vegetables for this dish is grown by her daughter loh!! ::D

Linking Up With:


If you enjoy reading this post, please like me on my Facebook Page as it's where i connect with my readers. I will be very delighted if you can also add me on my newly set up social media accounts - InstagramTwitter and Pinterest.

12 comments:

  1. Wow.. your green fingers are really good. Food grown by yourself always taste sweeter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you jo! My edamame have started flowering too! Hope I can soon post the growth of an edamame plant! Lol

      Delete
  2. This is so exciting! How lovely to grow your own vegetables. How many harvests do you think you can get? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Agy, thanks for dropping by! I didn't know how to harvest previously so was waiting and waiting. Now I harvested for the first time, I heard every 6 weeks or so should be able to harvest again! Time will tell me!

      Delete
  3. Me! me! I want Kailan seeds.
    Looks like fun, wanna try with my kids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem diana!! When the flowers dried up and seeds ready, I will contact you!

      Delete
  4. Oh I've always loved gardening and it's my dream to own a small herb or veg garden! :) Love this plot of land where you can be your own gardener! Can I have some seeds too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you angie! I just chanced upon it and didn't know I can plant too!

      Sure! When the flowers dried up and seeds ready I will contact you ok? ;)

      Delete
  5. Hi, I think what you are doing is truly amazing and I would really like to learn from you.

    (1) What is the white piece on the tray where the seed rest?

    (2) How do you get the seeds? From dried flowers? If I will to get dry the flowers from those I buy in the market, can that do?

    (3) Have you tried growing anything without soil? I saw those bubble balls in Giant Supermarket for plant growing, wonder if that can be done? I am thinking of growing it indoor.

    Thanks for reading
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike,

      Apologies for the late reply!

      1) The white pieces were cotton wool. I transplant them into the soil together when the seedings are bigger

      2) My friend gave me the seeds. She said it was bought from a shop in north bridge road, and they were planting veggies in the office by their windows! I am not sure if we can plant from the dried flowers from veggies we buy from the markets, but I heard that we can replant the stalks if you leave the below uncut

      3) I have not grow anything without soil yet. my house don't get any direct sunlight so I wasn't able to plant anything at home. :)

      happy planting! It's addictive!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...