Wednesday, April 30, 2014

How to Make Organic Pesticides at Home

Some time back, I attended a basic gardening workshop organised by the RC (Residents' Committee) in the estate i stay. This workshop was conducted by National Parks Board and was really informative!

One of the thing i learnt from this workshop is how to make my own organic pesticide! Each bottle is 1.5 litres and you just need to pour into a spray bottle and spray onto your plants every day or every other day (for my vegetables are exposed to winds and rains, i really have to spray everyday! -_-"")

I am into my second bottle of organic pesticide now and I must say it's effective only if I continuously apply the spray to the plants.  Once I stopped for a while,  the irritating leaves eating insects came made back! But I have to make my own organic pesticide versus buying commercial ones, simply due to the fact that I want to eat the vegetables that I grow!

Sharing with you how to make our own organic pesticide at home:

items required to make our own organic pesticide (image taken from NParks)

Ingredients Required:
* 1.5 litres of water
* 1 small Red Chilli - smell will ward off bugs
* 1 small clove of Garlic - smell will ward off bugs
* 1 teaspoon dish washing liquid - soap to help oil dissolved
* 1 teaspoon cooking oil - will block the spiracles on the insects to block their breathing and eventually kill them

Tips:
If the first bottle is not as effective as you would like it to be, you can try adding more chilli and garlic for the next round.



blend the chilli and garlic with small amount of water

i used paper towel to create a makeshift funnel

drip the chilli & garlic solution into the 1.5l of water

discard the remaining strained mixture

add in 1 teaspoon each of soap & oil and shake!


You can take a look at the video by NParks here:





If you enjoy reading this post, please like me on my Facebook Page as it's where i connect with my readers. I will be very delighted if you can also add me on my newly set up social media accounts - Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...