Thursday, November 21, 2013

My best dish! 我的拿手好菜!

This is very embarrassing! But if you must ask me what is it that I cook best, I guess it had to be Macaroni Soup!


After all, I never cook my whole life! When I was young,  I am like the scholar of the family. My parents dote on me so much and always chase me out of the kitchen because they thought that the kitchen is too hard work for my scholar hands. Rofl! They never accepted my help since I achieved top places in my classes since primary three!  

I only started real cooking when I was 27 years old and it's only for weaning Kyle last time. As he is my first born, naturally I will want and do the best for him. I have cooked many different meals for him but macaroni soup is his favorite. Hey hey! I have a fanatic fan for this dish ok. He loves it so much that he will savour everything to the last drop of soup. Kyle eats all the vegetables I cooked for him in this soup.  I don't know if it is the bright colours that helps.  :)

So I am sharing the SUPER SIMPLE recipe today! You won't believe how easy it is and Kyle love it since he is a baby below one!

The macaroni:

* In a small pot, bring water to boil, add in macaroni and cook for about 8 mins.
* Drained, rinsed with cold water and set aside. 
(I always try to cook the macaroni and soup separately so that the macaroni will stay nice, if you leave it in the soup for too long it will be mushy and too soft)

Ingredients for soup:

I follow the food pyramid closely to ensure a well balanced diet for my growing boy, so the rule of thumb is to include ingredients from each family. 

Image Source: http://sites.duke.edu/sofabkidsculinarycamp2013/the-skinny-on-sofab/lessons-and-educational-activities/monday-learning-about-the-food-pyramid-and-portion-sizes/


1) Carrot : for the sweetness and vitamins
2) Potato : carbo, some vitamin Bs, Magnesium and Potassium
3) Corn : for the sweetness, vitamins
4) Either Broccoli / Spinach
(because we are not beef and pork eater, so I always give this two types of vegetables to supplement iron on top of the chicken I give)
5) Either Salmon / Chicken / Pork / Beef / Fried Egg : Protein, DHA, Iron
6) Dried scallop : for the taste and protein
7) Fried Ikan Bilis : for the taste and calcium

Do note that for an infant below age of two, I do not add any seasoning or salt at all. The soup should be already naturally sweet and tasty. :) 

As for older children,  you can either use ikan bilis/yellow beans to boil soup based or add cube stock/soya sauce/salt for tastier taste.





Linking up with:



If you enjoy reading this post, please like me on my Facebook Page as it's where i connect with my readers. I will be very delighted if you can also add me on my newly set up social media accounts - InstagramTwitter and Pinterest.

2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy. There's actually a lot that goes into the dish that you call "simple" :) ps we don't use stock cubes in our home either. Nope not even for the adults. It's all made from scratch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks adora! i like it when a child tells me it's very yummy and shows by finishing everything without me having to nag. ;p Do you share how you make your stock cubes?

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...